Saturday, February 2, 2013

great moments in stupidity

So I'm still running 5 kilometers every day.  And every day it's difficult.  You'd think your body would get used to it and you'd just breeze through it after a while, but no, I can officially tell you that doesn't happen.  It hurts every day.  You feel like you're going to die every day.  And then, when it's over, you feel amazing.  And it's not just the rush of endorphins from exercise, you feel great because you've done something difficult.

I'm discovering that each season has it's own little challenges.  The humid summer months were brutal.  Fall was great until the time changed and it started getting dark right after lunch.  And then it got cold.  

This winter has not been a particularly cold one so far but on days like today when you get up and it's 21 degrees...it feels pretty dang cold.  It's weird to be sweating while your ears and fingers are numb and frozen.

Some days I only have a small window of time to run in.  A couple of weeks ago we had a monsoon and right in the middle of the monsoon was my window to run.  It was cold and it was pouring rain.  My running path was about 80% under water all the way around.  Some of the water was ankle deep and it was cold, very cold.  The wind was driving the rain and it would sting the skin on my face for half of each lap.  

Last week we had a bit of freezing rain.  Again, right in my window to run.

 When I stopped I noticed I had a coating of ice on the front half of my shoes.  I was somehow sweating and when I grabbed my shirt to wipe my face I noticed something else odd...

The front of my shirt was frozen into a solid sheet.  It's hard to see in the photo but it was a hard sheet of 100% cotton.  

Do I realize it's stupid to run in these conditions?  Of course I do.  And then I do it anyway.  Sometimes I laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation for half of the 3 miles.  It helps to pass the time.


No comments: