Monday, January 14, 2013

movin' on up


Well.

I'm glad we got that over with.

New Year's Eve has never been super special to me.  I get no thrill from watching a mechanical sphere slide down a pole in Times Square.  Quite frankly I get the shakes just from seeing such a crowd of people on TV.  For about 12 years New Year's Eve was just a night when the dogs would be terrified and barking all night because the neighborhood goofballs would shoot bottle rockets until 3:00 am.  Then it was a night where the bottle rockets would wake screaming babies.  Oh and there was that one time way back in high school when some girl dumped me on New Year's Eve.  I'm not going to mention any names but I ended up marrying her.  Go figure.  

Most years I'm up well past midnight, but only because I'm drawing.  Most years G makes an attempt to stay up and watch the ball drop but often closes her eyes before it happens.  This year the circumstances had us both awake and G's first words at midnight, her last words to 2012 were:  Good riddance!

2012 was tough.  I wanted to hate it several times and blame it for all sorts of things.  The problem was that it wouldn't just play the bad guy.  Each time something bad would happen there would be some sort of moment that would almost redeem it.  Almost.

So at midnight on New Year's Eve we made a point to stay up just to make sure 2012 left without a fuss.  He didn't keep any of our tshirts and didn't take any of our CDs.  He politely put on his hat and walked out.  

I believe it was the great philosopher George Jefferson who said "...and don't let the doorknob hit you where the good Lord split you."

No comments: