Tuesday, February 28, 2023

unsolicited advice

I write these blog posts in Word and leave them sitting, unsaved, on my computer while I give them time to breathe.  I’m not interested in firing off angry missles everytime something moves me to have thoughts that linger outside my morning run or evening commute.  I like how this process allows for the element of chance.  It’s as if the Universe gets a say in whether or not I post something.  I had a good one typed out a couple of weeks ago and I decided I didn’t regret writing it last night.  I opened my computer to find it had vanished.  I don’t remember closing Word completely and it asking if I wanted to save it.  I suppose the Universe spoke after all.  I guess if you want to hear about that one, you’ll need to buy me a coffee sometime.


In the mean-time, here’s a few snippets of what’s been on my mind:

Feelings are great.  Feelings, however, should not dictate if someone is allowed to do something.  You saw something that made you feel a certain way?  Cool.  Maybe it made you feel bad.  That doesn’t mean the thing that motivated you to have feelings should be illegal.  Didn’t like what the comedian said?  Stop watching.  Don’t think it’s ok to do something? Don’t do it.  Everything isn’t about you.

Hey, maybe stop watching the trial on TV.  It’s gross.  You are unknowingly contributing to the glorification of crime.  This creep accused of something is being elevated to comic book nemesis status because you’re obsessed with it.  Maybe you don’t realize that sick minded people are paying attention and seeing the celebrity status the alleged murderer is gaining.  That can’t be good, right?  Yuck.

Everyone isn’t the same.  We’re not supposed to be the same.  All our different thoughts, ideas and approaches to life are what make us able to solve problems and survive for centuries on this planet.  (Yes, of course I see the contradiction between this statement and the previous.  I’m ok with it.  You can be too.)  Stop expecting everyone to agree with you.  Stop trying to get everyone to believe the same things.  Everyone shouldn’t be in your religion.  Everyone shouldn’t vote your way.  And believe it or not, not everyone needs to go to therapy just because you love it.

Speaking of therapy…Instagram is not a licensed therapist.  We all just pick and choose the quotes we want to repost based on the day we’re having.  Reposting that quote won’t fix you.  Developing an intentional lifestyle that is healthy and sustainable will fix you.  This requires getting up every day and doing hard things.  Reposting the quote is easier.  Choose wisely.

Oh, and maybe save that file before you just leave it there, minimized on your desktop.  That potential blog post wasn’t the only file I lost.  Or don’t.  I didn’t save this one either.  Maybe life is more interesting out here on the razor’s edge.

Y’all be nice.


No comments: