Wednesday, April 15, 2020

quarantine log week 4


How are y’all doing? 

If I had hair, yesterday I would have probably cut my own bangs.  Does that tell you anything about how things are here?

It’s week 4 of self-quarantine.  Everyone here is healthy.  We’ve probably dodged our first exposure to the plague.  School stuff is rolling on, and that at least helps me to keep track of the weekdays.  I’m having critiques, grading projects, and trying to find ways to entertain my friends through Instagram each day. 

The plague is set to hang out for another few weeks, and that has me feeling down.  I was not thrilled with leaving campus and switching to online learning.  I was really not thrilled with the cancellation of all of our fun spring school events.  I was deeply not thrilled to have to move the Sand Sculpture trip to the fall.  This week we lost our annual early summer family vacation week at the beach, and that may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back.  After the camel’s back was broken, COVID-19 stepped in to beat the camel to death with a big stick when the hospital sent G home with an 8 week furlough. 

We’re both a little angry about this, and I realize we’re both also taking it personally.  It’s really hard not to do that.  She’s been a faithful employee of this particular hospital for 27 years. For 27 years, in the midst of southern snows and terrible ice storms, she’s been told that she’s essential to daily operations. That she should report to work no matter what.  For the last few years she’s been in a position that calls for her to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  That seems pretty essential to me.  It certainly feels that way when she has field calls, emails, and text messages at all hours and on family vacations.  But now with the hospital reeling financially because of the virus, suddenly she’s seen as a way to cut spending.  Not cool.  That’s not how I would treat an employee.  However, we can drop that in the file of “Things Beyond Our Control,” and get over it I guess.  Not a lot of other choices.   

You know how once you’re irritated at something, every little thing seems to irritate you?  At least 143 times this week I’ve opened the cabinet door to throw something away and discovered the trash piled up 6 feet above the top of the trash can.  And for there to be so much trash in and around that trash can, it’s amazing how many empty wrappers and napkins I seem to find placed randomly through the house.  Apparently when we finish using something the only option is to leave that thing right where we finished using it.  I counted 7 pairs of shoes with no humans in them scattered across the house walking to my computer moments ago.  Clearly I need to get outside for a while.

So how do we stay sane and not make our families hate us during this quarantine?  Well, here’s what I’m choosing to do:

Every morning I get up and run before I speak to anyone.  This lessens the chances I’ll say something devastatingly cruel to them.  For about 25 minutes I run on the trail alone with my thoughts.  I pray and plan.  I can’t describe just how much this helps me mentally and emotionally every single day.  If you don’t hate me, this 25 minutes is why.


Some mornings I’m following up that run with a PiYo workout.  But every morning the run is followed by a big cup of the best coffee you’ve never had.  You’ve never had it because I make it here at my house.  It’s really a religious experience and I don’t even mean that as a joke.  There’s a liturgy in the process of grinding the beans, tamping the grounds in the holder, warming up the machine, steaming the milk, and stirring the white steamed milk and the brown coffee foam into a swirl.  Then there’s that first sip. Oh my goodness. It touches my soul. 

All this is time I’m alone, but in addition to this, I take some time to myself every day.  If I must, I walk around outside.  I work in the basement studio on 3D projects.  I’ve also been lucky enough to spend time each day in my drawing studio.  Sometimes I sit in the silence of the studio and listen to the sleeping dog breathe.  Sometimes I listen to a podcast or some music.  But generally speaking, I’m by myself on my tiny hermit island at these times.



I also practice absurdity.  God help my kids because of my ridiculous ideas.  I may decide we’re going on a 4 mile backyard hike or we’ll take the dogs in the car for a 10 minute drive to the mailbox, which is only a 30 second drive to the actual mailbox and a 9 minute 30 second drive around the yard.  I’ve also been attempting to recreate famous works of art in and around the house.  The kids have both had to assist me in various ways. Both have been disgusted by the costumes I’ve had to wear for these photos.  They both complain a little when I drag them away from their screens and devices for these crazy exercises, but they both laugh a lot while we do it. 



And then there are the waffles.  Once each week we have a waffle morning. I get up and after that run and that first sip of coffee I’ll slap some fresh, hot waffles on plates, yelling for the kids.  My waffle creations are sweet, wonderful, and delicious.  They are love on a plate; a warm waffle covers a multitude of sins. 

I hope there are things you’re doing each day to help you through these strange weeks we’re enduring together, apart.  I hope you’re finding ways to connect with your friends and family.  I hope you’re emotionally and mentally well, and if you’re struggling at any point, send me a message.  I’m probably struggling too, and we can complain together.  Maybe I’ll mail you a waffle. 

No comments: