Sunday, December 30, 2012

Solo Exhibit



Blue helped me deliver artwork and install this exhibit in Spartanburg at the Chapman Cultural Center last week.  The show features work that is either directly or indirectly influenced by my dad.  The reception on 1/17/2013 will include some of his favorite foods prepared by my mom and by Ginger at Delightful Dishes.  All the work is for sale and credit cards are accepted.  I'm told that this is a very different exhibit than what is usually in the guild gallery.  I'm hoping that's a good thing.  Either way, come see the freak show.  It will be worth the trip to see the poster designed and rendered by Blue and to write in my specially selected guest book.  Oh and there will be a continuing slide show on the LCD screen inside the gallery.  That might be interesting too. 

The Chapman Cultural Center is located at 200 East Saint John Street, Spartanburg, SC 29306.  The hours are Mon - Sat 10:00 - 5:00 and Sun 1:00 - 5:00.


 On installation day, Blue was out of school for Christmas break so I had to leave enough room in the truck for him and me.  We were both surrounded by artwork.  Behind us was the trailer loaded down with freshly painted pedestals.


 Blue mostly held the door because his dad is a control freak when it comes to handling the artwork.  I wanted to let him carry things, but I kept seeing him dropping my iPod in the gravel last summer and I just couldn't do it.  He apparently gets bored easy too, so instead of rolling up the blue tape into a ball as I suggested, He straightened out each piece and started making a tape drawing on the floor. 


 And it looked like this when he was finished.  Sadly, this is cooler than the artwork I delivered.  It's not a good feeling to be shown up by your 6 year old son.  I left the tape on the gallery floor for a long time trying to find a way to justify leaving it there for the exhibit.  I couldn't make a good argument for it, so we carefully transferred it to a large sheet of bubble wrap and sort of preserved it.  While we were there he announced to anyone who would listen that he was going to be an artist when he grew up.  And that he was hungry.

After demonstrating his creative thinking, he also demonstrated his powers of deductive reasoning.  He studied my beard and asked why it was growing so fast.  Then he asked if I drank a lot of root beer.  I do, so then he announced that it was the root beer that was to blame for my beard growing.  Logic!

 
But the show looks good.  Almost all the work exhibited was made within the last 12 months and most of it has never been exhibited before.  It's one thing to see a sculpture or a drawing but it's a much different experience to stand in a room filled with drawings and sculptures by the same artist.  I suppose it could be like the difference between reading an isolated chapter or reading an entire book.  Or maybe not like that at all. 

Come see.

1 comment:

Java said...

What time is the reception?

Also, I want to stop by the studio to visit you and the new classes. Soon. If I don't get too agoraphobic.