Wednesday, November 4, 2015

new sculptures

These guys were tricky.  The forms came about more or less quickly during the summer studio time.  The ideas and juxtapositions came fluidly.  The initial plan was to have these powder coated as usual but as the summer went on, that plan started to change.  

Working at a smaller scale demands attention to craftsmanship.  I grind and polish the entire surface to make sure I've covered all the cracks and holes.  And it's that polished surface that kept grinning at me and insisting that it's raw material beauty was more interesting than any coating I could put on it.  I've used bright colors for so many years now, it was very difficult to even consider leaving part of the steel showing.  

Once I knew I couldn't cover that shiny silver metal, I had to figure out how to continue to incorporate my love of color at the same time.  I think I figured it out.


 "Timmy"
10"x10"x11"
steel

 "Burt"
5"x6"x11"
steel

 "Teddy"
4"x7"x7"
steel

 "Bertha"
8"x6"x4"
steel

 "Tom"
3"x3"x4"
steel

"Bruce"
7"x6"x6"
steel


Artist Statement

My work attempts to find beauty among the ordinary.
Working with common materials like plywood or steel, I seek to use those materials as transmitters of sublime concepts, mirroring the idea that ordinary people can be transmitters of sublime actions.  Using everyday moments and experiences as a starting point, I strive to highlight their uncommon beauty and draw attention to the possibility of their transformative teaching.

1 comment:

Rhonda Roaming said...

This was llovely to read