Sunday, December 9, 2012

i love a hammer


This is what happens when you are late for my class.

I'm kidding of course. 

Some days are better than others.  Last Thursday was a perfectly good day.  It was the last day of Tue/Thu classes and my students were scrambling to put the finishing touches on their projects.  That's a joke too....the truth is many of them were just starting to work on their final project.  As I was gleefully encouraging each one to work, work, work, I noticed a couple of students headed toward the door.  I told them that sculptors did not need to take breaks and asked where they were going.  They said they were going to smash a car with a hammer.  I instantly fell in behind them knowing that my day was probably about to get even better.

The student affairs people had arranged for a car to be donated for a stress relief project.  Students were encouraged to de-stress by taking turns pounding on the car with a sledge hammer.  I watched as large framed guys pecked at the fenders with the heavy hammer and small, stress filled ladies struggled to swing the hammer hard enough to hit the car.  I know I'm supposed to be more professional, but the 12 year old boy in me came out and I jumped at the chance to take a shot at the car.

I'm lucky enough to have my own sledge hammer and to have about 30 years of experience using one.  I love to smash things with it.  This may even be an understatement. 

One of my students was kind enough to take a series of photos with my phone.  If you look carefully you can see the roof of the car sink through the series.  On swing number four I tore through the sheet metal and make a 6 inch hole in the roof.  It felt amazing.






 
Thursday was a very good day.

1 comment:

Nora said...

SO much cooler than Winthrop! I only got to take a sledge hammer to some dorm bed ends- which are surprisingly hard to break! I let you smash a porcelain ballerina doll at the end of 3D II if you remember...instead of a tap to crack it you took a mighty swing and turned it to dust, followed by a very giddy laugh and "Whoops!" That was a great project. I got to leave Logan speechless and have you tell me I was scary and you hoped to never piss me off, LOL! It's the quiet ones you have to look out for...don't forget!