Saturday, September 21, 2013

all words, no photos

The fall semester is in full swing.  I've got 24 Sculpture I students using power tools, many for the first time ever.  I'm having to take photos of them using the jigsaw and table saw so they can email the photos to their dads who are flabbergasted that they are using power tools.  It's funny how fast fear can be overcome.  

Then there's 7 Advanced Sculpture students who have already sent public art proposals to a client and are well into their second project.

Oh and the MAT students who are nearing the end of their first project.

And there are meetings and deadlines galore and everything is pretty much chaos.

So a few things to pass along amid the chaos....

Go to downtown Greenville and visit Gallery Seventeen at 17 West North Street.  I left a few sculptures with them and it would be nice for people to go in and ask about my work.  It's a great gallery space and downtown Greenville is awesome so consider this an excuse to go eat and enjoy a stroll.  The website is www.gallery-seventeen.com.

I have a sculpture in the Spartanburg Artists' Guild Annual Juried Exhibit in the Spartanburg Art Museum.  The opening reception is next Saturday.  I think there's some sort of popular vote award so if you're into that sort of thing, swing by and vote for my sculpture.  Or better yet, vote for your favorite work in the exhibit, even if it's not mine.  I have several artist pals in there and their work is pretty great.

The Art Center of Greenwood is featuring the work of Lander University's art faculty in the show "Independent Study" during the month of October.  This is going to be a really cool exhibit.  Somehow Lander has gathered together a department that is second to none in terms of teaching, making art, getting along and laughing.  The exhibit is designed to showcase the very diverse creative processes of the professors and how cohesively that diversity can be brought together into one exhibit.  Even Dr. Tom Pitts, the art historian is making work for the exhibit.  And as a special bonus, he and I will be doing a live drawing performance during the reception on the night of October 17 from 5:00 - 6:30 pm.  I think we will be giving away the drawings we produce during that time.  And, this performance will keep Tom and I from having to stand around awkwardly during the reception, so it's a win-win for us.

And then there's this super cool sculpture event  we're having at Lander on Saturday, October 5.  But I'll explain that one later.

No comments: