Monday, December 17, 2007

Yo Whatta Whatta?

TV is the devil. I'm not a big fan. Back in undergraduate school, I swore off TV for 2 1/2 years and was a much better (and more creative) person as a result. Though it has seeped back in to my everyday life in small doses I still believe TV to be evil at it's core. It rots your brain. It robs you of creative thoughts.
I was once told that when you have a child everything changes.
I will confess that I let my child watch TV sometimes. Not for him - for me. Call me evil, call me a hypocrite, but there are days you need 10 or 15 minutes of relative calm and silence in order to maintain your sanity. Don't misunderstand, my child is not much of a TV fan either. There are only a couple of shows that will hold his attention for more than 30 seconds. Most days he would much rather listen to loud music and dance around the house.
One of the shows that seems to captivate him is called "Yo Gabba Gabba". No, I don't know what that means. What I do know is the first time I saw a commercial for the show I shook my head and wondered what had become of our society. The commercial seemed ridiculous and crazy. There was a DJ and a robot and critters living inside an old school boom box. And there was this adorable little kid who stopped in his tracks to watch the commercial from beginning to end. He looked at me and pointed to the TV and said "Daa Eee Ah?" which of course is translated as "Father, will you please set the dish to record all new shows matching the search entry "Yo Gabba Gabba"? I reluctantly agreed.
Now that we've watched all the episodes together I can tell you that this show is weird. I can also tell you that this show is really great. This show is what you would get if you put an Atari 2600 game console, a couple of Monty Python movies, a few dance and electronica CDs, and an artist's brain in a blender and hit the "liquefy" button. It's fun and it probably will not make your child dumb.

No comments: